Cisco Call Detail Records (CDR) have a lot of data — I find it overwhelming, and I have over 12 years of Call Analytics experience! A CDR is a comma-delimited file that can be opened easily in a spreadsheet. . . . but you’ll quickly realize how much data there is and how difficult it can be to interpret call data this way. Depending on the CUCM version you’re running, there are around 130 different fields or columns.
Here are five things you need to know about CDR and spreadsheets:
1. “Date” and “Time” are listed in Unix time (or Epoch time). It isn’t easy to read without first doing some calculations. Epoch time is the number of seconds that have elapsed since January 1, 1970 (midnight UTC/GMT), which does not count leap seconds . . . Who wants to calculate that? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
2. There is NO ring time! If you need to determine how long a call had rung before it was answered, you’ll need to do more calculations. Look for the “dateTimeOrigination” and “dateTimeConnect” fields. Once you find them, you’ll need to subtract them to find the ring time in seconds.
3. If you’re looking to find out which internal resource answered a call, start by tracking down the “finalCalledPartyNumber,” “destDeviceName,” and, in some cases, “finalCalledPartyUnicodeLoginUserID” fields. You’ll have to note important information to identify a user, like first name, last name, managers, departments, or other organization units, which are missing from CDR. It also doesn’t include device pool, device type, device description, and location.
4. Most worksheets have a maximum row limit of around one million. If your CUCM services more than 150 devices, with each device making about 20 calls per day, and you need to report against all the calls in one year, a worksheet won’t be able to display all the information.
5. The most important thing to know is that you can have complete control of your CDR with the right tools! Variphy offers reporting and analytics features to help you generate reports with information that matters most to your business.
Variphy deploys in as little as 15 minutes. Find out how we can streamline your workflow and simplify your analytics and reporting tasks. Start your free trial today!